Friday, January 24, 2020

Day +183

So far so good. Some GVHD symptoms have subsided. Eating, sleeping better and my my mood has improved. Even my skin has cleared up from those nasty rashes.

Unfortunately my eyes took a hit this time and they are still a bit of an issue. They are not making the appropriate amount of tears, which results in dry eyes that impact your vision and sensitivity to light.
It feels like I’ve left my contacts in way too long. (Those who wear them would understand)

So to help lubricate my eyes, check out this weird science:

They took 12 vials of my blood, and created 42 little vials of nutrient rich tears that I use every few hours. But....in order to keep the tears from draining from my eyes, they cauterized by tear ducts. 
The actual little hot wire, sizzling in the corner of your eyes wasn’t bad, it was the 8 little shots of a numbing agent that sucked! (Prick, sting, burn , prick, sting burn.....8 times!) 
It worked! What a difference. The nutrient rich tears stay in place longer, and I’m not having to reach for other drops so frequently.  Still can’t drive, but vision and comfort has improved a bit.

Steroids have helped a great deal, and now we are starting to back down the dosage again. We’ll see what happens next.

The good news. My team of doctors like what they see from my recent bone marrow biopsy. I am now 100% donor DNA and 0% recipient DNA.  (Blood DNA only, so I would not have any close matches in the Netherlands from a cheek swab.) Only some patchy myelofibrosis and scaring remain which will clear up in time. The new cell garden has taken root!
Recent pulmonary tests (lungs) were also perfect. No issues. 
Blood labs still continue to bounce around, but are good and my immune system is still a work in progress.

Staying the course with meds, healthy meals, regular workouts and plenty of sleep. Staying busy mentally and spiritually as well.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your amazing reports on what is being done to you. All this good news warms my heart. Hang in there Joe. I remember when you lived on oranges to keep a certain weight for wrestling. GCG. Keep positive. Hugs and prayers. Mom.

Diane said...

Ouch. But happy to hear you are doing better step by step. It amazes me the technology that is out there. Thanks for the updates.